Assistant professor of economics in Maxwell School dies at 62

Prince Dudley | Staff Photographer

Howe joined the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs in 2014 as an assistant professor and received his Ph.D. from the school in 2004.

Peter Howe, an assistant professor of economics in Syracuse University’s Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, died late last month, according to an SU News release. He was 62.

Howe joined the Maxwell School in 2014 as an assistant professor. He earned his Ph.D. in economics from Maxwell in 2004 and served as a faculty member at both Cazenovia College and State University of New York Oswego before joining Maxwell’s faculty.

“Peter will always be remembered as an eager and energetic faculty member who brought a positive attitude and dutiful mindset to everything he did, inside and outside of the classroom,” Gary Engelhardt, an economics professor and chair of the economics department, said in the release. “He loved to learn and teach others. His service to the department and the school will be missed.”

In the fall 2016 semester, Howe taught courses on intermediate microeconomics, intermediate macroeconomics and economic ideas and issues. He had been scheduled to teach most of the same courses in the spring, according to his faculty page.

Before beginning his academic career, Howe served in the United States Army in Germany and worked for 17 years at Miller Brewing Co. in Volney, New York, according to the release.

“Peter was a dedicated teacher who exemplified the ideals of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs,” Maxwell Dean David Van Slyke said in the release. “As both a graduate and as a member of the faculty of the Maxwell School, Peter lived a life of public service through his military service, his professional careers and in taking many active leadership roles in his community.”