Syracuse, Le Moyne to form academic partnership in information studies, law education

Courtesy of J.D. Ross

The iSchool at Syracuse University and Le Moyne College already have an established partnership, which they expanded in 2015.

Syracuse University and Le Moyne College will be forming an academic partnership enabling students, faculty and staff at both institutions to tap into resources offered at each school, SU announced on Friday.

The partnership will establish a collaborative relationship where Le Moyne’s Madden School of Business students have access to SU in the areas of data science and information security management, while SU students gain access to Le Moyne’s health information systems and enterprise systems resources, according to an SU News Release. It would also allow early admission into SU’s College of Law for “extraordinary” Le Moyne College students interested in legal education.

Le Moyne is a small private Jesuit college located about three miles east of SU.

“This new partnership will benefit students and faculty at both Syracuse University and Le Moyne College,” SU Chancellor Kent Syverud said in the release. “Both institutions share a strong commitment to teaching, academic excellence and research. I look forward to the successful partnership moving forward.”

The information management and information systems program expansion plan is currently being developed and will be available to graduate students soon, potentially as early as the fall 2017 semester, according to the release. The program would enable students to create and pursue their degrees through “plug-and-play modules” — including Certificates of Advanced Study.

The law program, or 3 +3 program, would enable Le Moyne undergraduates with outstanding academic achievement to finish their undergraduate degrees and their juris doctor degrees within six years, per the release.

“This partnership will allow Syracuse’s College of Law to attract undergraduate students whose academic excellence positions them for great success in law school,” said SU’s Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly in the release. “ … This partnership is a win-win for Syracuse and Le Moyne, but, more importantly, an excellent and rare opportunity for Le Moyne students to have a jump start on achieving a legal education.”

This is not the first time SU and Le Moyne have collaborated on academic programs. Both institutions have launched many coordinated initiatives — such as a fast track program helping students obtain accelerated master’s degrees in information management and library and information science, a 4+1 forensic sciences program for Le Moyne students and joint study abroad programs, according to the release.