Black History Month 2020

The Black Lounge kicks off Black History Month at SU

Sarah Lee | Asst. Photo Editor

Featured headliner Jenea Leah, took to the stage for The Black Lounge event. She previously appeared on Season 2 of Fox’s “The Four: Battle for Stardom.” During her set, she sang covers and her latest single "Balance."

blackhistorymonth_web-02The sounds of step, spoken word and music filled Goldstein Auditorium on Saturday night. The Black Lounge kicked off Black History Month at Syracuse University with an evening that featured an array of student talent, an awards show and a performance from R&B singer Leah Jenea  

This is the fifth year The Black Lounge has occurred at SU. The event began in 2006 but relaunched in 2016 after taking a break due to funding.  

“The underlying goal of the experience is to support independent and emerging visuals and performing Black artists and to expose students and other patrons to sounds and sights they might otherwise experience in other mainstream forms,” senior Anthony Obas said during the program’s introductory remarks. 

Parris Kelly, president of the Student African-American Society, said that she was able to help plan and host the event along with other Black student organizations, such as the Caribbean Student Association and the Black Graduate Student Association.  

Kelly introduced the event and welcomed guests before Obas and sophomore Nathena Murray took over as hosts. The program also included a presentation from Assemblywoman Pamela Hunter (D-Syracuse), who delivered a statement from the New York State Assembly.  

Hunter currently represents New York’s 128 Assembly district, which includes the southern and eastern portions of the city of Syracuse as well as Dewitt, Onondaga, Salina and Onondaga County. 

“As the only male or female of color that represents at the state level for all of central New York, it is very important to be able to identify spaces and places where we can commune, get together and be one with each other,” Hunter said.  

The Office of Multicultural Affairs presented two awards during the night. First, Dr. Biko Gray received the Trailblazer Award. Students nominated Gray, an associate professor in the religion department, for the award. 

Then, Melanie Littlejohn G’97 received the Distinguished Alumni Excellence Award. Littlejohn currently serves as the vice president for New York Customer and Community Management at National Grid.  

After accepting the award, Littlejohn recited quotes from historical figures such as Shirley Chisholm and Tyler Perry about having “a seat at the table.” She encouraged students to strive for better representation in any field or form.  

“It is a blessing and a privilege to accept this award, and I look forward to our continued work together to create seats at the table,” Littlejohn said. 

Student performances were packed in at the beginning of the night. Cedric Bolton, coordinator of student engagement and event organizer, said that The Black Lounge has artists like Maroon 5 member PJ Morton in the past 

Black Reign Step Team performed its routinesLKS,” “Cadet Kelly” and “Chaos.The group is the only non-Greek affiliated step team on campus after being founded in 2005.  

shanx2_blacklounge_caseytissue_01

Freshman Shanice Manning, otherwise known as Shan.X, sang some of her original songs, including “Games” and “Memories.” Casey Tissue | Video Editor

“Black History Month is really important to us because of the history of step and where it comes from,” Khaliah Major, a senior on the team, said. “So, this is a way for us to give tribute.” 

Joel W. Francois, a slam poetry champion and graduate student at SU, performed a spoken word piece about love in times of violence towards Black people in America. Francois has been recognized numerous times for his work, as he was named the 2015 Nuyorican Grand Slam Champion and the 2016 and 2017 Bowery Grand Slam Champion. 

Meanwhile, freshman Shanice Manning, otherwise known as Shan.X, sang some of her original songs, including “Games” and “Memories.” Hasan Stephens, also known as DJ Maestro, kept the crowd on their feet after Manning’s performance. Stephens opened up the dance floor to all attendees.  

Finally, featured headliner Jenea, took the stage. She appeared on Season 2 of Fox’s “The Four: Battle for Stardom.” The show features four recording artists who are challenged to beat out newcomer contestants each week.  

Jenea performed renditions of the songs “Call Out My Name” and “Focus” based on her The Four performances. She also sang her latest single, “Balance.” 

“It gives us a chance to, during Black History Month, to highlight these artists and give students an opportunity to see these emerging artists who essentially may arise to superstardom,” Bolton said.