THE DAILY ORANGE

‘DEEPER MEANING’

Trey Deere honors his Indigenous roots through lacrosse

T

rey Deere’s grandfather didn’t like to talk about his experience in Canadian residential schools. Deere wishes he asked more questions, but didn’t get the chance before his grandfather passed away a decade ago.

“That’s a story we will never know,” Deere, who is of Mohawk descent, said. “It was a dark period for our people.”

Orange Shirt Day” is a Canadian holiday on Sept. 30 which reflects on the complicated legacy of the Indian residential school system, a network of boarding schools funded by the Canadian government which exposed Indigenous children to abuse and deprived them of their culture.

Deere’s cousin, Rothsennonni Two-Axe, introduced the annual tradition to Kuper Academy, Deere’s old high school outside of Montreal. When Deere left Kuper for the Salisbury School, he immediately approached administration to “spread the message.”

The school was immediately supportive, but they wanted to do it right. It was too late to get shirts made by the actual day, so they settled on celebrating it a few weeks later. Deere helped design the bright orange shirts, which said “EVERY CHILD MATTERS” next to the Salisbury crest adorned with two feathers.

The shirts were available for the entire student body to purchase. The proceeds went back to the Iakwahwatsiratátie Language Nest, an organization working to preserve the Indigenous language in Deere’s Kahnawake Mohawk Territory community.

“It’s important that we don’t forget them and we continue to honor them,” Deere said.

Since leaving home, Deere has always understood the importance of educating others about his culture and how to help preserve it. He’s done the same with lacrosse, playing with a wooden stick in the All-American game while being part of the first Haudenosaunee team to use their passports for the 2022 Under 21 World Lacrosse Championship.

Cindy Zhang | Digital Design Director

Now a freshman at Syracuse, he’s working to be the next great Indigenous player, following in the footsteps of the Thompson brothers (one of whom is now his neighbor) and the hundreds who came before them.

“It’s a deeper meaning than playing lacrosse, it’s who he plays for and all the people back home that can’t play or passed away,” said Heather Laborgne, Deere’s mother. “It’s honoring them and that’s what makes him work harder and want it more.”

Despite lacrosse’s roots, Indigenous players have often been overlooked by collegiate programs. Then, the Thompson brothers came into the public eye in the late 2000s and early 2010s. A documentary about the four of them, “The Medicine Game,” was released in 2014.

The film explains the origins of lacrosse, how it was a gift meant to entertain the Creator and a medicine ceremony played to ward off sicknesses from the tribe. It centers around the oldest brothers, Jeremy and Jerome, as they try to make it onto Syracuse’s men’s lacrosse team from nearby Lafayette High School.

Deere remembers sitting in the movie theater after the film’s release. It showed him that lacrosse wasn’t just a game he loved. It was something that could lead to an education.

“Once they were in the spotlight, he began to realize he could do this,” Laborgne said.

In 2015, Deere was invited to take part in Aboriginal Peoples Television Network’s “Dream Big” series, a show where Indigenous youth have a chance to spend the day with their heroes. He chose Miles Thompson.

Trey Deere (right) pictured with Miles Thompson (left) at UAlbany when Deere was 8-years-old. Courtesy of Heather Laborgne

Deere was nervous on the drive down to UAlbany, where he would follow around Thompson as he prepared for an alumni game. He picked Thompson’s brain, asking him questions about how he fit into an offense, picked spots to attack from and succeeded as a one-handed player. (Deere also plays with one hand, but he’s lefty unlike Thompson.)

Thompson remembered how appreciative Deere was despite being only 8-years-old. A few years later, he invited Deere to a Thompson Brothers Lacrosse (TBL) camp in the Onondaga Nation, giving him a ride from Kahnawake and a place to stay.

When Deere arrived at the Thompsons’ house, there was a “care package” on top of his bed. Inside of it, he had everything he needed for the week: a toothbrush, hairbrush, sports drinks, hair ties and Pringles, his favorite chips.

“It was exciting for me and just as exciting for him,” Thompson said about Deere’s TBL experience.

Even back then, Thompson said Deere was a “step ahead” of everyone else. He compared Deere’s skillset to that of his older brother Jeremy, who many considered a “man amongst boys.” He also understands how the game is meant to be played.

“He has fun doing it,” Thompson said.

It’s a deeper meaning than playing lacrosse, it’s who he plays for and all the people back home that can’t play or passed away.
Heather Laborgne, Trey Deere’s mother.

The pair grew even closer when Thompson married Deere’s cousin. Now, they live two doors down from each other.

At the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, Deere said he started taking advantage of his proximity to Thompson. They drove 15 minutes to the reservation’s box rink to get shots up. They turned fishing trips on kayaks into a rowing workout. And after Thompson got a full gym set, Deere walked over to lift alongside him.

Thompson also started a daily running group in the community which Deere joined. At first, the 7 a.m. runs were 5Ks. Then, they moved up to 10ks.

One Saturday, Thompson said he was going to run a half marathon. As a joke, he invited Deere. But he actually showed up.

“It was wild to me, a kid in high school, how determined he is,” Thompson said.

The determination over the offseasons made its way to Salisbury. Head coach Tom Spinella said Deere won every sprint holding his wooden stick — a gift from Alf Jacques at 13 when he tried out for the Haudenosaunee national team. He led Salisbury to a Geico National Championship win in 2022 with a shooting percentage of close to 70%, according to Spinella.

More importantly, he left Salisbury a “better place than he found it,” Spinella said. After introducing “Orange Shirt Day” as a sophomore, Deere presented in front of the entire school before selling shirts. His senior year, he gave a “Chapel Talk” about what hair means to him and his family. This past spring, he spoke to the team about how lacrosse is a “medicine game.”

Cindy Zhang | Digital Design Director

“We just taught him that you never know who’s watching, any audience you’re in you could have an impact,” Laborgne said. “You have an opportunity to educate people on who you are. He was ready to do that.”

Deere is now focused on giving back to the next generation of Indigenous players. Laborgne said he makes time to acknowledge young players when he’s back in his Kahnawake, signing the occasional autograph. Deere remembers when Thompson took the time to gift him gloves and a helmet after box lacrosse championships in Onondaga. He wants to act the same.

“I want to give back and keep the traditions going so these younger generations understand why we play lacrosse, the meaning behind it,” Deere said.

The awareness Deere has about his platform is something Thompson said he didn’t have in high school. He thinks the future of the sport is in “good hands” with young Indigenous players like Deere.

“For what he’s doing, it’s not only making me proud, his family proud, it’s making our people proud,” Thompson said. “He’s not in it for just himself.”

Photograph Courtesy of Syracuse Athletics